I love using spicy bread for my lunch. It adds a lot to the taste of a sandwich without having to add condiments that can make it get soggy. I was thinking that some cheddar and pepper bread would be good, so I looked up some recipes and modified them to be what I wanted.
I made this bread using the Sweet Spicy Pickled Peppers that Lynn and I canned a couple of months ago. The bread could easily be made with the fresh or canned peppers of your choice.
Spicy Cheese and Pepper Bread
- 1 1/8 cups warm whey (leftover from Lynn’s ricotta), could use water instead. (110 degrees F)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/4 cup sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Pepper Jack
- 4 tablespoons chopped peppers
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1/2 tablespoon active dry yeast
Add ingredients to the bread machine per manufacturer’s directions.
Set machine to BASIC setting.
Even with a slightly stuffed nose I could smell the spiciness of the bread. When I tasted it, I wasn’t disappointed. It isn’t crazy burn your mouth spicy, but it does have some kick and will be great with my lunch.